Satellite
Show on map
  • A Hike to Ponta de Sao Lourenco

    March 4, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We are staying in Canico, a little resort area between Funchal and the airport. It isn’t very far to the very easterly part of the island and this is where we decided to go for a hike, on a long, thin peninsula that ends in a few deserted islands.

    What is special about this hike is that you can see fabulous seascapes of both the north and south sides of the Island. The water on the south side is tranquil and on the north side it is rough.

    We walked on a calm sunny day. Quite often it is very windy and can be quite dangerous. The trails are okay but can be quite slippery and they are narrow with steep drops. Some people walk it without proper shoes or clothes. There is no way anyone should go out there in flip flops, or without a hat.

    There are no trees in this gorgeous but windy zone but the fauna and flora are quite unique. Also there are curious rock formations, formed as a result of the volcanic origin of the island.

    We walked 8 km and it took us about 3 hours. At the point, there was a welcome little snack bar in the shade with coffee, cold drinks and pastries. The perfect little place to relax a bit before retracing our steps.

    We were pleasantly surprised to see hikers of all ages doing this trail, including very young children and babies in backpacks, as well as seniors. People went as far as they felt comfortable and could turn back at any time. It was great to see this.

    For us, it was a spectacular introduction to the beautiful island of Madeira. For sure, there will be more hikes on the horizon!
    Read more