Satellite
Show on map
  • Tues - Lagoa do Fogo - Fire Lake

    March 12, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We went to the Lagoa do Fogo, an old volcano that has a lake in its caldron. The road up was pretty windy and some us felt a little carsick. The views are supposed to be wonderful but the cloud cover was a too thick for us to really see the lake very well. On top of that, it drizzled for most of the time that we were there. But that didn’t stop us.

    We drove on to the Caldeira Velha Environmental Interpretation Centre where there are more hot springs as well as a small building that explains the geology of the island.

    Both of the thermal pools have a stone wall around them and they are surrounded by intense lush foliage which really creates a unique feel. Someone said that it is just like stepping into Jurassic Park - a Velociraptor could jump out the bushes at any moment. Haha.

    The main highlight is the waterfall spring at the end of the park. Below it is a bigger pool with an amazing backdrop. The water is hot in areas and cold in other.

    The kids didn’t want to go into the water today as it was pretty cool outside. Chris and I let them play in the interpretative centre while their parents relaxed in the water. The mineral waters are supposed to be good for your health.

    When we returned home, the sun was full out and it was a lovely for relaxing in the sun. A highlight of the house for us is that we have a wood BBQ with a stack of firewood and can cook our dinners in it. Lizards in the bbq, beware!

    The Best Experiences of the Day

    Nathan - jumping on the mat in the Interpretative Centre

    Audrey - getting chased by Grampy in our backyard

    Cal - playing with the soccer ball with Mommy in the backyard

    Matt - drinking coffee

    Amy - sitting in the thermal waters at Fogo

    Tim - hiking on his own near Remedios

    Caitlin - standing under the cold waterfall in the hot springs in Fogo

    Connie - watching the kids colouring in the interpretative centre while Nathan jumped on the mat

    Chris - lunch at a nearby restaurant with Caitlin, Amy and Matt. Amy eating a Franchesinha sandwich.
    Read more