Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Market Day in La Peñita

    January 9, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Visiting a Tianguis in Mexico is a must. And it just happens that every Thursday an open-air tianguis market is held in a town not far from Chacala called La Peñita. People come from miles around to attend this weekly market and the four of us were there too.

    We caught a taxi at 8 a.m. and within a half an hour, we were walking the streets of La Peñita. The market was at the bottom of the Main Street near the ocean and it was big.

    And what were they selling? A little bit of everything. From local artists displaying silver and handmade jewelry, glassware, pottery, Oaxacan wool rugs and the famous Huichol Indian beaded artwork – to vendors with carts of nuts and berries, homemakers selling fresh pastries and linens, tshirts and beach wear, and pickup trucks with poblano peppers and watermelons – you name it, they’ve got it. I have read that this market is one of the largest and most well-known markets in the area.

    We wandered around, bought a few things, went to the beach to watch the entertaining pelicans and frigate birds and then had a pleasant lunch on a breezy second floor patio.

    On the way to the taxi stand, we stopped and picked up a roast chicken for dinner.

    We negotiated with a taxi driver to take us directly to Chacala. Usually the trip would include a change in taxis in Las Varas, but we were dropped off right in our town. It was a good thing as it is a hot day and the sooner we could get into the ocean for a swim, the better.

    And that’s what we did!
    Read more