Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    A Walk to the Beach

    January 7, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today is Friday. We arrived 5 days ago and really haven’t left our house except to go food shopping and checking out Troncones and Majahua (not much to check out). We felt that we should self isolate for a few days while we get the lay of the land.

    We learned that garbage is collected on Mondays and Fridays here so we walked down the driveway and left our little bit of garbage across the street. People here don’t have the huge amount of packaging that we have at home so there was only a small bag of it even after grocery shopping. We love that you don’t have to buy huge quantities of anything.

    Well, once we deposited the garbage, we saw the trail that Jeremy had mentioned that we would take to get to the beach. It is wide and well taken care of. After walking around a gate, a little pack of dogs on La Princesa del Mar BnB property either heard or saw us and sounded the alarm. We thought that they were behind a fence, but no. The five or was it six dogs found a way through the fence (?) and surrounded us. Big and small, and a mix of breeds. Haha. All bark and no bite. The lady, who is our closest neighbour came out and introduced herself as Reina (queen). She said that if we needed anything, to let her or her husband know.

    We have met several people who live here now and we are pleasantly surprised that we understand them clearly. And, we are recalling our Spanish and no difficulty communicating with them. Mind you, I feel that they are speaking a little slower and enunciating well. They are thrilled to find out that we speak Spanish.

    The walk to the beach was short and when the jungle opened up we were rewarded with a lovely view - a big bay with golden-coloured sand and only 1 person on it for as far as we could see. Immediately in front of the trail, there are some large rocks on the shore but beyond that the beach is sandy with big waves. Pelicans were diving into the water and a type of sandpiper running along the edge of the waves. Very peaceful.

    We walked a little bit but the sun was intense and we hadn’t really planned on going so we weren’t prepared with a proper hat or sunscreen. We returned home and went for a cooling swim.
    Read more