Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    A Walk on the Beach to Majahua

    January 18, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    This morning, Monday, we all decided to do our own thing. Pat went boogie boarding near La Barra. Chris took Jeremy’s bicycle to Troncones and did an 18 km. ride.

    Gail and I decided that we would walk the 1 km to Majahua on the beach and she would would take some photos for me. I took a bag of empty cans to Andrea, the local baker, who can get money for them.

    Andrea bakes her bread in a wood-fired clay outdoor oven. She heats up the oven the night before and at 3 in the morning she starts the bread making process. Between 7 and 8 a.m., she is ready to sell her buns, not loaves of bread. It is very rustic. She hurt her back recently so when we went she hadn’t made any.

    As you have seen in another footprint, Majahua is a tiny village. I think that there may more chickens and dogs there than people. Fishermen go out early every morning and the little restaurants on the beach serve up seafood at lunch and dinner time.

    Except for the animals, a few houses, the bakery, the 2 little stores, the school, the nursery school and the restaurants, there isn’t much more to see. It is tiny and dusty with friendly people ekeing out a living.
    Read more