Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Happy Birthday Chris!

    February 17, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Because we usually travel during the winter months, and Chris’ birthday is in February, his birthday is a very simple affair. We don’t normally exchange gifts while travelling. What would he want in Mexico and what could I get him - a Speedo bathing suit, Mexican trinkets, tequila or mescal, a sombrero, a T-shirt, flowers? A good book would work …so we settle for a dinner out, in a recommended restaurant, and he can be a King for a Day. That works for us.

    So, how did his majesty spend his day in Troncones?

    At 7:15 a.m., the power went out, as it often does, but we were prepared with matches this time. We have a gas stove so we could light the burners to make coffee and a light breakfast.

    We read a bit and swam in the pool until we could use the internet again.

    By noon, the power came back on and we headed into Troncones. We had heard about a little shop that sold sarongs/pareo and we wanted to pick up a couple for our daughters. The store was tiny but the lady had a nice variety. We took photos and sent them to the girls to check out.

    While we were there, the lady told us that her grand daughter was celebrating her 6th birthday today. The little girl showed us her 3 piñatas (a burro, a mermaid and a girl) filled with candy that were going to be used at her birthday party. Since it was Chris’ birthday too, she shared a sucker with him and said Happy Birthday. What’s funny is that our car rental guy’s birthday is also on Feb 17, as well as our condo neighbours dad, and Chris twin sister Hilary. A popular day. May 17th must have been a busy day!

    We drove on to an Argentinian restaurant and bakery called Indigos for our early dinner. We had heard that it was a family restaurant with good service and they follow covid protocol. The tables were spaced out and hand sanitizer was available.

    Indigo’s Argentinian steak is what people go there for so that’s what we ordered. Actually we ordered a single meal that we asked if we could share and what a meal we got!

    The restaurant has a small onsite bakery so while we waited for our dinner we checked it out - sourdough and whole wheat breads as well as rolls, baguettes, cakes and squares. We bought some baguettes to try out at home.

    We ordered a grapefruit juice and limonada which came with a basket of an assortment of buns from the bakery and a dip. This was followed by a big arugula, blue cheese, pear and walnut salad that had a delicious dressing on it. Then came a New York steak, home fries and more sauces. We could not believe that we were sharing a meal that was meant for one person. We were stuffed! But even with all that food, we couldn’t resist their chocolate mousse dessert. It was a pleasant ending to a fantastic meal in little, dusty Troncones.

    As usual, the late afternoon was hot (33C) so when we came home, into the pool we went and followed that by a short siesta.

    Dinner was light. We found our favourite series at the moment about Jack Reacher, and watched it using the projector on the wall while being serenaded by crickets and geckos.

    All in all, a fine day for the birthday boy!
    Read more