Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    A Typical Day

    February 26, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    As mentioned before, we aren’t moving around very much because of covid. I thought that I would just make a footprint of the some of the things that keep Chris, and me, busy during the day.

    We usually get up at around 6:30 a.m. while it is still dark and cool (24C) outside, and one of us puts on the coffee. Then a little time is spent checking emails and the news. A few of our friends are experiencing rough times with medical or family issues and we are trying to keep in touch with them as they go through life’s challenges. Also, lately, the news has not been good as Putin (Russia) has invaded Ukraine. The Russian people have protested this move and of course, many Russians were arrested and there will be consequences. It is frightening to see what is happening. Money and greed…

    We brought our Home Google machine which was a great idea. We can listen to the local Fergus radio station, ask it questions or listen to music that we like. Great for travelling as long as we have wifi.

    Chris then goes into exercise mode. We haven’t been walking daily on the beach as we were doing previously. It gets hot so quickly. A lady in Troncones gave Chris an unused yoga mat and he is able to get in about 20 minutes of Pilates/yoga stretches while watching a Utube video, and follows those by doing a quick skimming of the pool and then a refreshing dip.

    It is very hot in the full sun and the new plants planted by our landlord need water. Chris drops the hose into the pool to fill it up and then fills and carries pails of water to the plants that are the furthest away from the hose. Most of the plants can be watered with the hose.

    In the meantime, I usually prepare a warm egg and veggie tortilla with either bacon or chorizo for breakfast. There is a lot of good fruit here so that is added on the side - black berries, melon, grapefruit, tangerines, etc.

    We sweep the floor every day and check for unwanted little creatures. The house keeper washes the floors on Mondays and usually find new creatures. Her husband comes two or three times a week to vacuum the pool, water plants and do any other odd job.

    By early afternoon, we are ready for a little rest and reading our books. We have read some good ones - The Lincoln Highway, Work Song, Daughter of Fortune - but we may have to go to some online books soon.

    Lunch comes and goes. It happens whenever someone feels the urge to eat something. With the heat, we don’t really feel very hungry. I’m writing this at 2:45 pm and maybe we will have lunch soon.

    Chris has had almost daily condo meetings with the president of the Corp via the computer. There are lots of things happening at our condo, so it is great that they can talk this way. But our wifi has not been very reliable lately. Off and on, for the past 3 days.

    At some point in the afternoon, Chris does 100 laps in the pool! When he came, he struggled to do 20. It takes time but we have time…and he loves it!

    Any time during the day, goats will have to be shooed away, new birds identified, and odds and ends jobs to do. Once a week, we make a big pot of a chicken vegetable soup that I freeze in yogurt containers for quick lunches. Today we saw a beautiful Lineated Woodpecker that looks like a Pileated Woodpecker that we sometimes see in Ontario. Our photos don’t do it justice so I found a photo online an added it.

    I have tried to do some art but something usually takes me away from trying to do it. In the afternoons, the wind blows (which is great but…) all my papers have be anchored down with rocks or they’ll blow away. I often watch demonstrations of some cool art techniques on utube instead.

    On Mondays, we drive to Lagunillas to the fruit and vegetable market. On Thursdays, we go to the organic market in Troncones and also pick up a freshly BBQed chicken in town. Then, once a week, we head to the big Mega Soriana grocery store in Zihua.

    Chris was riding the bicycle to Troncones and back but the roads have become super dusty, bumpy and dry. Not good while riding a bicycle. He started to cough so he stopped doing that.

    Then when the urge hits us, we go to one of the many inexpensive beachside restaurants that are in Troncones or Majahua.

    Dinner is usually around 7 pm. when it starts to get cooler…

    It is 3:15 now. Chris started his swimming (this time buck-naked) in the pool and the whole herd of goats came out of the jungle to drink water out of the pool. He was surrounded! I wish that I had taken a photo but things happen a little too fast at times. The owner came too, to try to shoo them away, and so did his 4 big dogs who are learning to herd the goats. Those goats! The little ones are fine but the big billies have big horns and don’t stand down.

    After dinner, we clean up and watch a little TV, rather big screen T.V., with the projector and our portable speaker. A Jerry Seinfeld show will start us out, and then we find a series or movie to watch on Netflix or Prime. The wifi seems to work well at night…

    We bought some American playing cards in the market and found a little English book trading library in a local resort. A lot of the books have yellow pages though and are obviously weathered..

    Anyways, always something to do but there is no rush to do anything.
    Read more