Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Mountaintop Retreat

    March 14, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    As we near Troncones, from HWY 200, we pass a sign with an arrow that says, Glamping. A dusty road leads upwards into a mountain.

    Since our car was already horribly dusty, curiosity got the best of us and we turned onto the road to see where it would lead us.

    We drove up a steep road and there at the top of the mountain was a little enclave of teepees and rustic buildings. We started to turn the car around and a bunch of dogs started to bark at us. A Mexican came and motioned for us to drive in and see the property.

    Well, we were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful 360 degree views the property had. In the distance, we could see the ocean to the west and a ring of mountains and valleys surrounded the mountain we were on. The man and his wife invited us in, offered us a coffee or a cold drink and we sat admiring the view. Three backpacker/surfers from France and Switzerland were staying there and we all had a great chat about our experiences in Mexico and beyond.

    The man and his wife, Fanny and Oscar, who own the place had built a large sweat lodge, big enough to hold 20 people, and were offering traditional temescal healing ceremonies every week. People who stayed there slept in lovely teepee-shaped bedrooms overlooking the mountains with great morning views of the sunrise.

    Fanny is a herbalist, like our friend Scott. She makes and sells medicinal tinctures and infusions made from local plants.

    We were invited to a celebration of their second anniversary on Thursday. We won’t be going but wished them well.
    Read more