Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Cadiz and Its Crazy Carnaval!

    February 18 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We knew that Sunday was the last day of Carnaval in Cádiz after a week of celebrations but we didn’t know what we were in for when we went to Cádiz for a day trip. A lot of crazy fun!

    We found out that the Cadiz Carnival is one of the most famous carnivals in the world, surpassed only by the one in Rio De Janeiro in Brazil. This unique event is a weeklong street party with a huge turnout as we found out. People from all over come to participate in the festivities, which include parades, music, and an incredible range of costumes. The locals put their heart and soul into the carnival, and it was hard not to get wrapped up in all the fun.

    “People, young and old, come in groups and they all dress up in themes or in the same costumes. The more ridiculous the costume, the better. It is sort of like Halloween, but not scary - much more silly. I also have to mention that this is not just a holiday for young people, half the people dressed up were middle age and older!” We were part of a small group that were dressed up like foreigners. Lol.

    The plazas are big but the side streets are small. Bands were playing and singing different music on every corner using guitars, bass drum, snare drum, hi hat and KAZOOS! No microphones used, just their voices. The audience, most carrying beer in cups or bottles, clapped and danced and laughed. As I said everyone was having fun.

    We got stuck in one of the jammed streets as we were making our way through the dense crowd. Everyone smiled as we and others pushed our way through to get to a free spot. There was never an ugly moment.

    What an experience!
    Read more