Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    A Day Trip to Cadiz

    February 18 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Our cottage friends, Karen and Rob, visited Cadiz last Spring and loved it. Rob often talked with fond memories about the market and the wonderful seafood sold there. Karen had picked an apartment to stay in, next to the main square, and it was in the perfect location to visit most of the main sights.

    Since we are staying fairly close by in Jerez, we knew that we wanted to visit Cadiz too. On Sunday, we took the Renfe train #2 right to the centre of Cadiz in 40 minutes. It was a short walk to the historic centre.

    Founded 3,000 years ago by the Phoenicians, Cadiz is the oldest city still occupied in Western Europe. The peninsula that Cadiz sits on, is right on the Andalusian Atlantic coast.

    Here are a few fun facts about Cádiz -

    Cadiz is one of the sunniest cities in Europe.

    It was the home of the Spanish Navy and the port boomed in the 16th-century as a base for exploration and trade.

    Christopher Columbus set sail from Cadiz on his second and fourth trips to the New World.

    Cadiz is a beautiful city known for its numerous plazas.

    Cadiz has one of the world’s most famous carnivals.

    Cadiz boasts more than 100 watchtowers.

    Manuel de Falla, the composer, was born in Cádiz.

    In the movie, Die Another Day, James Bond (Charles Bronson) is walking down the seafront promenade in "Havana". But all the scenes in Cuba were actually filmed in Cádiz. Parts of Cádiz were remodelled or erased to look like the Cuba. The Playa de Caleta is a gorgeous beach! Do you remember Halle Berry coming out of its blue water?

    Thanks Rob and Karen for recommending this city!
    Read more