Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Our Last Night in Spain

    March 8 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Our last night in Spain, what to do? We decided to walk down Spain’s version of Fifth Avenue - the Gran Via.

    This boulevard was built primarily between 1910 and the 1930’s. It wowed us a bit with its early 20th Century architecture. It has wide sidewalks and traffic is limited to buses and taxis.

    The Gran Via is filled with luxury and trendy brand-name stores. In the 1930s, a section of the Gran Via was built to look like the buildings of Chicago and New York City. There’s a Schweppes Building and a section that is built to look like Broadway with theatres offering musicals and plays.

    We were looking for the Dear Hotel. We read that it has a rooftop lounge and a small bar and thought that it would be a good place to have a final drink to toast our time in Spain.
    We walked confidently through the hotel lobby, rode the elevator to the top and climbed the stairs to the rooftop. Walking up to the outside bar was a little daunting and Chris swore that the building moved because of the wind. Hmmmn. Bottom line is that the view from there was amazing! Too cold for a cold drink but great for taking photos.

    We walked back home and had a drink and tasty chicken wings at Tapas and Canas. There just happened to be two seats available in the bar. Very unusual for a Friday night. It was great though. Very Spanish - loud and friendly.

    We toasted our success at planning this trip. We had a wonderful two months in this great country.
    Read more