Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Random Final Thoughts about Our Trip

    March 8 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Tomorrow morning, we will leave Spain after our very full trip over the past two months. We just wanted to write a little about some of our observations as we’ve learned a lot.

    Packing

    We usually pack in layers as the weather usually changes over a 2 or 3 month period. Our most used clothing in Spain were our jeans and lightweight black pants, short and long sleeved tshirts, running shoes and fleece/puffer jackets. - standard uniforms for Spanish people. I didn’t need to bring a skirt at this time of year or capris. My leggings and tank top came in handy when it was really chilly. Our Isotoner slippers were used on a daily basis. We bought toques and at times, really appreciated them! Our bathing suits never got wet.
    We bought a hot water bottle that we used a fair bit after long walks. My small lululemon crossbody purse was perfect for my phone, passports, sunglasses, etc.

    Favourite Cities

    Actually, we weren’t disappointed in any place that we visited. Maybe Cordoba was a favourite. Even though we were travelling during the off season, there were a lot of tourists everywhere.

    Random Observations

    - the most often heard Spanish word is “Vale” that is like our “Okay”
    - we appreciated hearing and seeing all the talented street musicians
    - people were always kind and helpful
    - they love their bicycles and scooters here
    - a lot of Spaniard smoke! You can smell it in the air
    - very few English channels on TV, but we could watch Property Brothers every night and Colombo.
    - Menu del Dia lunches, Monday to Friday, are economical and filling.
    - the wine and beer are very inexpensive
    - grocery stores have everything that we needed.
    - we were turned on to eating Fine Oatmeal Flakes (no cook) with yogurt, honey and nuts for breakfast
    - not all accommodations provided kettles, but often they will give you one if you need one for a hot water bottle. LOL.
    - breakfast here usually consists of a coffee or juice and toast spread with olive oil and covered with tiny pieces of tomato.
    - 9 a.m. was not too early for a vodka and water chaser
    - the architecture everywhere was spectacular
    - amongst everyone had a little dog
    - all the cafes and restaurants were full of people after 9 p.m.
    - when friends get together they all talk loudly, all at the same time, and they have a lot to say!
    - tapas were great and sharing food is expected
    - there are a lot of seafood and pork items on the menus
    - we never got used to the late dining habits in Spain
    -public transportation (buses, subways and trains) in the big cities was easy and always on schedule
    - the high speed trains are awesome
    - for the most part, the wifi was very good
    Read more