Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 132

    Camp #53 - Tolantongo

    January 8, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The Grutas de Tolantongo...
    I saw this on a YouTube accidentally a few weeks back and told Laura we were adding it to the list.

    It was a long way there and back and not really on our way to anything. The last 30km or so of road must of had 60+ topes (speed bumps). I was counting them when we left, but lost count after 40.

    Anyway, you don't need to pay to camp here. It's included for free with your day use ticket which is awesome. However you need to pay for the day you arrive and the day you leave (so 2 days if you want to stay 1 night) plus 50 pesos (I think) to park.
    We turned late (around 4pm) on the Sunday wanting to stay for 2 nights, expecting to pay for 3 days, but we got lucky and only had to pay for the 2 days (and parking) so all in, I think it was 650 pesos for 2 nights. Which is about our average camp ground anyway.

    The first night, we setup, I went for a little wonder to see if I could figure out where to go on the next morning. No luck, I walked for 40 minutes up a hill and gave up.

    That evening we watched some YouTube videos to get an idea of where things were. This place is hugeeeeee! We managed to find a "bus stop" (colectivo) and got a ride on the back of a chopped VW bettle up to the hot spring pools. This was a 10 minute ride for about £5 (100 pesos) well worth it.

    After the pools, we got a ride down to the caves (this time only 60 pesos for the two of us in a mini bus, not as cool). The caves were an awesome experience. We had to buy a waterproof torch before going in (didn't need too, but I wanted it) and it was really nice.

    After that, we walked down to the truck, stopped off in what is almost a lazy river, but it's walled off to stop you floating away. After a dip and some drone shots, we made a late lunch and relaxed.

    The next morning we packed up and set off for our next stop!
    Read more