Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 200

    Exit Nicaragua

    March 17, 2023 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    The process of leaving Nicaragua.
    First you pull up and get an exit slip that you need to fill in.
    Whilst getting the slip you're harassed by loads of local fixers trying to help you, but once you drive off to the building they leave you alone.

    First off, you go into immigration where you need to pay $1 per a person to enter? Then you go to the immigration booth and have to pay $3 per person to exit the country. Here they will only take USD and not their local currency which is weird considering we aren't bordering a country which spends USD (officially) at all.

    After your exit stamp is given you need to go to a vehicle inspection booth. You hand them your paper work to exit, and they come and check your vehicle. The guy didn't like that we had a dash camera and kept covering it with his finger. We were asked at least two times if we had a drone. "no".

    After they sign this paper work, it's into the customs building to get the temporary import permit cancelled. Unfortunately we got into the line with about a dozen people in front of us. Everything so far had taken 20 minutes but here we'd spend an hour. Fortunately @overlandsite had arrived at the border and joined the line a little behind us, so we could chat as we went through. This customs booth was for both people processing temporary import permits to enter Nicaragua as well as exit which is what held us up.

    Finally paper work all cancelled, it is time to drive across into Costa Rica and pick up their process to enter.
    Read more