Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18–19

    Chucuito to Pomata

    October 5, 2023 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Our last full day in Peru was spent cycling from Chucuito, our camp spot near Puno, to Pomata, the last town with a hospedaje before the Bolivian border. Or at least so we thought.

    On the way there we passed the town of Juli, which prides itself to be the "Rome of the Aymara" while featuring a Statue of the Eiffeltower in the main square...I mean...who doesn't know this very tipical roman land mark?!

    We arrived in Pomata in the early afternoon, just to find out that one of the two hospedajes was closed due to water shortage and the owner of the second hospedaje would only be back later in the afternoon. But the weather was good and the town rather nice, so we spent a couple of hours sitting around and waiting for the owner.

    Once the owner returned it turned out that his place, too, was closed, due to ongoing renovations...well aren't we lucky?
    Fortunately, after a short discussion the owner took pitty on us and let us stay at the Hospedaje nonetheless, since there wasn't really any other option for us to stay that night, except maybe the Church's backyard.

    The evening was spent walking around town, enjoying the view over Lake Titicaca from one of the mirradores.
    Read more