Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19–20

    Pomata to Tiwanuku

    October 6, 2023 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    A late update, but better late then never:

    We left Pomata early in the morning of the 6.10 and set off to the Bolivian border.
    We had already noticed the day before that the further we moved away from the rather touristsic Lake Titicaca, the more people would randomly greet us on the street and generally smile at us.

    After 40km we got to the Border.
    After having experienced many hectic and chaotic border crossings when travelling in Asia years ago, with many hours of waiting times and dubious border officials, I was pleasantly surprised by how fast we made it out of Peru and into Bolivia.

    The border crossing was for pedestrians only. And since Peruvians don't seem to need their passports stamped when crossing over, the queue at the border control was basically non-existent. We both got our exit and entry stamps within 10 minutes and were ready to go!

    You'd think you wouldn't notice a big change while still being in walking distance of Peru, but no! You could clearly feel you were in another country. Everything was even drier and dustier, dogs seemed less aggressive and we got to.see the first streetsign in...ages.
    Just the bolivian drivers are similarly crazy to the peruvians.

    With headwind getting stronger during the second part of the day we made it to the small town of Tiwanaku, halfway between the border and La Paz.

    After 2 hours of struggling to get Bolivian simcards and to top them up for mobile data - involving having to handle a terrible userinterface to register the simcard (made a mistake? Start again at 0!) and some phone calls in spanish (well, 50%spanish, 50% italian) - we found ourselfs a place for the night in a huge but mostly abandoned hotel and looked forward to cicle into La Paz the next day.

    Distance cycled 🚴‍♀️: 90km
    # of shops searched for sim cards 🛒: 7
    # of attempts to register the sim card📶: 15
    # of icecreams (to reward myself for sim card struggles) 🍦: 2
    Read more