Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16–20

    Puerto Iguazu

    January 13 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    When we left the bus in Puerto Iguazu, we got hit by a wall of hot and humid air. Not surprisingly, the city is quite touristy, with prices close to European level. We spent the first day acclimatizing and recovering from two nights on the road with little sleep.

    On the next day, it was time to visit the falls! The "Cataratas" are accessible from both the Argentinian and the Brazilian side. We first visited the Argentinian side, which has a much larger amount of trails and view points.

    Arriving at the Cataratas National Park, it felt like we were entering a theme park, with queues for ticket booths, park maps and a train going to the farther parts of the park. We decided to walk instead.

    Unfortunately, the most impressive "Devil's Throat" walkway that leads right across the top of the falls was not accessible, due to damage by water masses after strong rain falls a couple of months ago. However, the "lower" and "upper" walkways were still great, offering us some impressive views of the falls and even a close meet-up with the local very cute and furry Coati population. Overall, we spent around five hours in the park, after which we were drenched in sweat and happy to go home and rest.

    The next day the weather turned into cloudy skies and thunderstorms, so we only left the house in the late afternoon to visit an animal sanctuary, which was quite overpriced with the tour only in Spanish, but still we got to see a Toucan which made it worth the visit. Afterwards we headed into town to visit the Three Flags Monument where Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay meet, as well as the Rio Paraná and the Iguazu River.

    🌡Temperature difference between bus and outside: 20+ degrees
    💧Liters of sweat lost: too many
    👥 Amount of tourists in park: thousands
    📸 Pictures taken: 100+
    🦎 Number of different animals seen: 20+
    Read more