Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    The Vipava wine valley

    July 30, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Today is our last day in Slovenia. We decided to end our two-week journey by visiting the Vipava wine valley. Because of the mild climate, the valley has the perfect weather conditions for wine production. We went for a short afternoon hike through one of the many vineyards. A bit later that day we brought a visit to Petrics local winery where we could do some wine tasting. I expected a long and detailed explanation about the wine production process but instead we had short introduction followed by immediate tasting. We tried a variety of six different wines, or actually seven, since we were already offered a glass of white wine when we had to wait a little bit. Luckily we also got some food and water for in-between.

    The most interesting wine we could try was a so called 'orange wine'. It is made from white grapes and macerated just long enough so that the skin of the grapes remains in contact with the juice to transfer tannins and to give rise to the color. If you would blind taste this wine you would definitely guess it's a red.

    After our tasting experience we went for ice cream on the town's square and looked back on another successful afternoon.

    Slovenia has been nice to us.
    Read more