Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33–39

    Hello Thailand - Exploring Bangkok

    November 15, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    After the relatively calm and quiet atmosphere during safari, it was time to travel to my second continent on this trip, Asia, and to a jungle of a different type - Bangkok.

    What a change of scenery it was. I arrived on Wednesday afternoon and in the evening a group of us went out to Khoa San Road. In a nutshell, it was complete chaos, busy like Oxford Street on Christmas and music pumping out of the loudspeakers everywhere - it was a great evening.

    The following few days were spent exploring Bangkok by day, eating street food whenever possible, and partying the night away in various entertainment/nightlife areas.

    The day activities included, firstly, to go on a little city walk and explore some of the countless and amazing temples that Bangkok had to offer, learning about the Buddhist culture/religion and finishing it off with a sunset view at the Golden Mount. The next day, we jumped on a longtail boat tour through Bangkok’s canals and ending it at the very impressive and stunning temple of Wat Arun. On the third day it was off to the Chatuchak weekend market and its 15,000 stalls.

    During the night, Bangkok certainly does not sleep and going out is a must to see another side of the city. After Khoa San Road on the first night, we went to Soi Cowboy (the redlight district) to check out the vibe there and see various non-PC shows (sorry mom and dad!) - before heading back to Khoa San with 9 people in a 4-seater taxi (saving on the completely wrong things). Lastly, we also checked out Chinatown by night, had some delicious, and freaky spicy food before spending the rest of the night at a rooftop bar and a local bar where tarot cards were part of the drinks - I picked 'The Fool', which apparently means embracing new beginnings and taking a leap of faith… ah well.
    Read more