Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    The Ha Giang Loop - Day 2 (Views!!!)

    January 15 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    After a night of partying and lots of Happy Water shots, we set off at 9am for a 83km drive that would bring us up close to the Chinese border. It would turn out to probably be the best day on the loop as the views behind every corner just got better and better.

    But first things first. The forecast was for slight rain, so most of the group put on their ponchos, but Amy and I had hope and did not want to look too ridiculous. Anyway, after about 45 minutes, we drove up a series of curvy roads to our first viewpoint. Looking down on the roads that we had just driven a few minutes ago was spectacular - the misty clouds hanging in the mountains added to a mysterious backdrop.

    After the second viewpoint of the day, we unfortunately encountered some drizzle as we drove straight into the clouds. Putting on the poncho was a serious consideration.
    However, as we drove further north, the rain became less and less and once it stopped the sun even managed to peak out. So ponchos were fortunately not necessary.

    Just before lunch, we arrived in Lung Cu, Vietnam's most northern city/town and located close to the Chinese border. We hiked up the flagpole for great views over the surroundings and a peak into China. However, after lunch, we headed much closer to the border and with views that were simply stunning. Carved into a deep valley on the Chinese side was a huge zick-zack path surrounded by steep mountains. It was a truly spectacular sight.

    We thought this would have been the best view of the day, but as we drove closer to our overnight destination, we encountered some serious contenders. The mountains in northern Vietnam with its lush green and dramatic mountain sides flowing into large valleys are a sight to behold. And we were driving with quite some speed and no guardrails only a meter or so away from these abysses - it was so much fun!

    On the final stretch, we drove down the valley to Dong Van, our overnight accommodation.
    Once we arrived and had dinner, the Happy Water shots came out again in full force. What started civilised turned into a big party with almost everyone dancing on the table and cheering with Happy Water.

    In short, Day 2 was truly amazing - dramatic views, a spectacular drive and an unforgettable experience. At the end of the day I came to the conclusion that the hype was definitely justified - the Ha Giang Loop should most definitely be included on any Vietnam itinerary!
    Read more