Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    The Ha Giang Loop - Day 3 (Perfect End)

    January 16 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Day 3 started a touch earlier than the other two days, as we had c.180km of distance to cover (from Dong Van all the way back to Ha Giang). That did not mean we would drive without multiple stops to take in some more fantastic views. The stops were also much needed as we would start to seriously feel our butts on these bikes and bumpy roads.

    Anyway, most of our drivers were on time. Amy's driver seemed to have had a tough night and showed up a bit later. Once the crew was assembled, we were hitting the road. The weather was again with us in the morning and the music and mood was joyous.

    Our second stop might have been among the most awe-inspiring viewpoints on the whole loop, even though yesterday was tough to beat. However, looking down from up top into a deep and narrow canyon that is divided by a long lake was incredible.

    Shortly afterwards, the paved road was not that paved anymore and we drove on more hard but sandy grounds through what looked like a big mining project. A few more stops later we had lunch, after which the weather situation slightly worsened and the much-hated, but very practical rain ponchos came out. To be fair, they are very useful and keep you dry and warm, but they look absolutely ridiculous.

    From that point on, most of the way was similar to the one we drove on the first day, so we quickly covered as much ground as possible and arrived back at Mama's Homestay at around 5pm. After a quick shower, we ordered some well-deserved pizza and reflected on the truly amazing last three days on the Ha Giang Loop.

    As I said earlier, my expectations were sky-high given everyone I had met and done the loop said it was the best thing. After having done it, I have to admit that it really is brilliant. Not just the views, which are otherworldly, but also the comradery in the group and with the drivers, the parties in the evening, the Happy Water, the driving, and so on... To everyone that goes to northern Vietnam, I can only wholeheartedly recommend doing the loop. It was freaking amazing.
    Read more