Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 71

    Waterfall and phallic symbols

    August 13, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ ☁️ 81 °F

    Today began at 0730 (why do I do this to myself?). Our first stop on the tour was the river of a thousand Lingas. Shiva lingas are a Hindu representation of the joining of male and female. The male is the column or round symbol in the center of a square or circle, the female, with a spout. Once water flows over the male, through the female, and out of the spout, it is believed to be blessed, similar to Catholicism's holy water. Because it is rainy season, the waters are high and most of the carvings cannot be seen. However, I grabbed a couple of shots off the internet. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam)

    We're at the waterfall now. It's great to get in the water to cool off. But like Vietnam and despite the signs everywhere saying don't litter, there is garbage everywhere. The one kilometer or so walk to the waterfall was an exercise in not stepping in trash. Even the waterfall has garbage accumulated in the eddys, like water bottles and potato chip bags. Once again, what could be a magnificently beautiful area is spoiled by...well, what? Laziness? Carelessness? No or ineffective waste disposal services? I don't know, so let's just call it humans.

    Out for now. ✌️
    Read more