Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 161

    Boat ride to the glaciers

    November 11, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    Yesterday afternoon was more landscape touring, which included a visit to Lago Grey (a lake) and Mylodon Cave Natural Monument. Lago Grey was at the foot of one of the glaciers and had several small icebergs floating near shore. The cave, which was really just a huge indentation in the solid rock, would have been better if there had been some fossils (even fake ones) displayed on the site. Mylodons were giant ground sloths that lived about 14,000-11,000 years ago (overlapping man in this area). We had dinner at a barbeque place. Extremely delicious meal for everyone.

    Today is a boat trip to see two glaciers. So far, we've been fortunate to see a kormorant nesting area and a small pod (family?) of sea lions who spend their summers here.

    Now we're at Puerto Toro, the Eastern glacier. A few of us took the short path to the observation area, then went back to the boat where we convinced one of the mates to sell us a bottle of red wine...which is excellent. Lunch is the next stop. I hope they have more of this wine.

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the fish. ✌️
    Read more