Satellite
Show on map
  • Hoover Dam & LA Comedy Club

    May 28, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 77 °F

    I was super excited when I jumped out of bed this morning. Hoover Dam, here I come!

    I took the Comedy On Deck bus tour (comedybustours.com) so I could listen to some dam jokes on the dam bus. The guide Harrison--also an open mic comedian--was extremely knowledgeable about the dam Dam, with lots of stories during the dam ride about things we were seeing on the Dam ride.

    We stopped at the Welcome to Vegas sign first, and unbelievably there was no one there. Well, it was 07:45 on a Saturday morning. In Vegas. Our next stop was the Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge to enjoy a dam beautiful Dam overlook while straddling the border of Nevada and Arizona. Cool. If you're driving a car on the bridge, you can't see anything, so park here if you go: https://maps.app.goo.gl/gQAZg5Y8kNafaQiPA

    We finally made it to the dam Dam, and part of the cost was a Power Plant tour, which was cool but a bit underwhelming. Afterwards, I had a few minutes to walk across the Dam and was surprised by the emotions that came over me. I remembered when a young reporter was on the Dam taking photos when a huge earthquake hit 😱. The Dam began to collapse and the Jimmy was just about to fall to his death 🫣 when, just in the nick of time, Superman came to the rescue! Hooray👏👏👏! We won't talk about how spinning the earth backwards would do a lot of things, but not reverse time 😉.

    Superman (1978) clip: https://youtu.be/3y_yFw3ZJSI
    RIP, Christopher Reeve.

    After the Dam visit, we had a quick lunch in Henderson, then I was back to my hotel around 14:30.

    After a cool down in the a/c, I walked up the Strip to the Strat while trying to avoid stepping on or making eye contact with any of the homeless people. They're everywhere and usually talking to themselves or trying to sell grimy bottles of water to tourists.

    I had a tremendous time at the LA Comedy Club after getting in for the price of a drink with the ticket the Dam tour company gave out. The host was James Michael and his magic comedy schtick was very unexpected and totally hilarious. He had two other comedians with him, Alex Kool-aid and Stoner Rob. Kool-aid was okay, but Stoner was really funny. Neither could top Cowboy though. Great show!

    Cowboy James Michael Redneck Comedy
    https://www.facebook.com/thebadboyofmagic

    Alex Kool-aid Ansel
    https://m.facebook.com/ComedianAlexAnsel/

    The Stoner Rob
    https://www.facebook.com/TheStonerRob

    I'm pretty stoked after another great day and can't get to sleep, but I'm trying. I check out in the morning...which is a good thing because I'm broke and didn't even gamble 😱. It's really expensive here. The only thing you can do free is walk and park. Okay, and breathe, yes, that too. Totally with it, though. What a great time I've had on the Las Vegas Strip. No place like it in the world.

    So long [for now], and thanks for all the fish! ✌️

    Day 78 mileage: 0 (total 18828.6)
    HD Dealerships: 0 (total 186)
    National Parks: 0 (total 35 in 18 states)
    10 Rides for 2022: 0 (total 5 of 10)
    MCGTTX Stops: 0 (total 23 of 50)

    -----

    My notes from the Dam tour:

    180 feet below (2 bodies found so far) full pool of 1229 feet
    1042 current
    895 dead pool

    537 ft down in elevator at 5 mph-ish

    1. Penstock upstream viewing platform: 30-ft diameter, carries water to lower plant, then 13-ft pipes to speed up before hitting plant

    4000 long, 56-ft diam diversion tunnel
    Towers 395 ft tall, pluggeds areas on map

    Up 32 feet in 5 sec

    2. 5th floor Nevada side
    300 ton each crane, need both cranes to lift 1 rotor over 500 tons (statue of liberty = 225 tons)
    Pelton water wheel 1 each side brown sideways
    2.4 mw each used for plant
    Read more