Satellite
Show on map
  • Gem of a Ride HOG Touring Rally Day 5

    June 20, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Butte MT to Idaho Falls ID, the short way: I-15.

    We planned to visit Craters of the Moon National Monument, but the weather was terrible again.

    We were hopeful about an hour and a half after leaving Butte this morning and jumped off the interstate by the Clark Canyon Reservoir to squiggle southwest to Craters. About 10 miles west on Route 324, we passed two bikers giving us hand signals to turn around. We pulled over to look at maps and, while Tom chased down the guys to get the story, a woman in a Kubota stopped to talk to us. Both the woman and the guys confirmed that our Route became 15 miles of dirt (aka mud) further down 💩😭. Not wanting to risk it, we backtracked to the interstate. By the time we stopped in Dubois (aka Ghost Town) for lunch at the diner (aka gas station), we all were done with the weather, so we beelined on I-15 to our hotels.

    We had a nice taco truck meal at the dealership, then a few beers at the microbrewery next to the hotel. Really good day despite the weather.

    So long [for now], and thanks for all the fish! ✌️

    Day 101 mileage: 260.3 (total 23165.4)
    HD Dealerships: 1 (total 202)
    National Parks: 0 (total 41 in 21 states)
    10 Rides for 2022: 0 (total 6 of 10)
    MCGTTX Stops: 0 (total 23 of 50)
    Read more