Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Petersburg

    June 5, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 43 °F

    [My ship is in the satellite view of Petersburg here and in Google Maps! Too cool 😎!
    https://goo.gl/maps/BRk9zVGC4MneG2h57]

    I just couldn't get out of bed this morning in time to walk the town, but I did grab a geocache just off the dock in Wrangell before we left at noon.

    We had an very nice cruise north through the Wrangell Narrows. We were able to take that route because we're so small; the ship's draft is only 9 feet (that's how deep our hull sits below the waterline).

    The banks of the Narrows are lined with green and red buoys to mark the lane. "Keep red on your right upon return," so they say. But we're not returning. Our guest speaker says in Alaska, they use red on the northernmost part of a channel like the Narrows.

    Anyway, the buoys use solar power to light up at night, and the result has caused it to be nicknamed "Christmas Tree Alley." It's a tight steer, so the Captain took control of the rudder for most of the time.

    I hope to make it off the ship in the morning to walk the half-mile into Petersburg...and grab another geocache 🤞. This town seems to be even smaller than Wrangell, which was definitely smaller than Ketchikan. It's also getting colder. It's only 45°F right now 🥶! I don't think I brought enough clothes for Alaska.
    Read more