Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Pennsylvania Arrival!

    April 3, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    We woke earlier and got ourselves organized. Said goodbye to Molly and Rick very kindly drove us to Bound Brook Station, which was near to his work but about an hour’s drive. He is such a lovely man and good friend. He waited with us until we got onto the train to Annandale. Everyone on the train was friendly and helpful and it was only about 36 minutes away.

    We arrived to Ian Shankland waiting for us in the rain at the station. He drove us through really pretty areas to their wonderful home in Erwinna. They were very welcoming and we were taken out to see the lovely covered bridges and towns near to the canal. We had lunch at the pub on the river near the green bridge at Riegelsville Inn – place had a lovely atmosphere with pressed metal ceilings and a british feel. Then they drove on to Bethlehem where Bethlehem steelworks (now closed) were massive. The town was bigger but also very pretty. We had a walk around and looked in the Maravian Bookshop, which was the oldest bookshop in America -1745. Purchased a shopping bag for mum and a lovely red cardinal Christmas decoration and we also went to a shop called Steel which sold lots of steel memorabilia and other stuff. I bought a cute, very warm pom pom beanie. Back home and we had a delicious dinner of sesame tuna and tagine chicken etc. Great night, we were made to feel very welcome indeed. Craig likes the harder mattress.
    Read more