Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 2 Orisson to Roncesvalles

    May 17, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    At a glance:
    Food highlights: a picnic of ham and cheese boccadilla complete with mountain view.
    Kilometres walked: 16k, 12k of those uphill.
    # of steps: 14,918
    Elevation gain: 700metres

    We were supposed to get a wet foggy day but it was mostly sunshine with a few clouds. Approaching the peak we had close encounters with fast moving clouds and had to wear 4 layers. But once over the peak it was perfect hiking weather, not too hot, not too cold.
    We had reservations for the Albergue in Ronsevalles and weren't worrying about getting there for the great bed scramble but they close the doors st 10 and we hoped to be there in time for an afternoon nap. The last 3 times I never had reservations but word on the Camino is about how busy it is.
    We had boccadillos made for us and found a south facing ridge which blocked the wind and gave us a close view of a herd of horses whose neck bells rang out a some sort of mountain music while we munched our sandwiches.
    We took the easy route down, it wasn't steep and it wasn't well marked but I had fallen on the steep route years ago so the easy route was etched in my mind. Others ended up on it without knowing the risk. Sure enough, a very fit woman who shared our room the night before walked that route and fell but only bruised.
    They ran out of beds. They have something like 125 beds and floor space with mattresses for another 100 for emergencies and they were all in use. Many people were turned away.
    Just after 10pm as I was falling asleep, I heard the faint yell of a man 'Help'. Then a 'help, help, help' and banging on the door 3 floors below. They lock the doors st 10pm and I suspect he arrived after 10 but someone must have taken pity on him and let him in.
    Thank goodness we had our backpacks transported for us!
    Read more