Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 3 - Roncesvalles to Zuburi

    May 18, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    At a glance:
    Food highlights: baguette picnic with sheep cheese and jam
    Kilometres walked: 22.37
    # of steps: 30,367
    Elevation gain: minus 400m

    Still no rain and a mostly downhill walk.
    We left around 7:30 not staying for breakfast as I knew there was a bar 3km away that served croissants and at Roncesvalles is was dried baguette with jam.
    We got to the bar and they were sold out of croissants so we had to make do with toasted baguette and jam.
    Saw Steve, from near Stoke-on-Trent waiting for his godson Adam who had nipped into the cafe to get a stamp for his credential. Each stamp is unique and proves where you have been. The stamps are stamped onto your credential. Think of it as a passport with stamps.
    Trudy and I just get the necessary stamp at each albergue we stay the night at. But Steve told us Adam wants as many stamps as possible, so he made him buy a bundle of credentials in advance.
    Not 2 minutes after we left the cafe and there is Steve waiting for Adam outside a store. I hope we run into him again.
    I forgot to mention that we met Steve and Adam at dinner in Orisson. Steve, a likeable portly character did part of the Camino a few years ago but suffered a stroke in the middle of nowhere. He thinks it was caused by a too tight knee brace that he took off when his feet were getting numb, and wham a blood clot hit. He had to walk to the nearest village, then bused to the nearest town, then a train and finally flew home to be diagnosed--a stroke (of luck). An epic trip.
    Now he is back but this time with a guardian.
    Read more