Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Camino Day 8

    June 8, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    So a latish start again today, not because of blisters or anything - as such. We just waited around a little to make sure the boys were awake, had breakfast and ready to get a bus to Burgos. Their feet need to rest, and the slow pace has also had an effect on Tracey and I. We left Nájera about 8:30, and their bus was due in an hour. We were nearly at the next town Azofra when we got a text to say they were safely on the bus. It was a cool clear start today, an incline to start with and the an open path through corn and barley, vines and peas/beans today. The edges of the fields dusted in poppies, corn flowers, elderflower, cow parsley and grasses. We set a fierce pace, adding on a few kilometres to the stage. The gaps between villages were quite long 7 or 8 km each, s plenty of countryside, dusty tracks and our own thoughts to keep us company. Perfect then to listen to the French Open tennis 🎾, until the vital moment when the charge ran out, lol. We passed many people we had stayed with already, and saw more on the way. Some stopped only after 22km to a town over 800 years old - Santo Domingo de la Calzada. We had lunch there, and paced on. In total we walked 36.5km today at just under 5km an hour. Tiring, but rewarding pushing ourselves. The Albergue tonight is restful, quiet (we make up 66% of the population) and needed. After a communal dinner and good conversation I’m now ready for bed.

    51,537 steps
    Read more