Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Camio Day 9

    June 9, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    So we woke to a cold morning - maybe 10oC or so. The Albergue wouldn’t let us out until 7, so we had time for a light breakfast there. We were two of only three staying there - so run on the loos or showers.
    The morning was more of the same, but under cloud cover. The Camino ran alongside the N-120 road for quite a few kms, before diverting away to a small village. I found the morning tough, I couldn’t get my rhythm at all, whilst Tracey strode with confidence and vigour. We were doing around 5.5km/hr.
    By lunch the clouds had burnt away, and we had left the fields. We had a steep climb behind a village and along a wide open forestry track. At first we climbed and in the distance you could seeing rising above you further. But before that a tough decent, making the next climb even harder. Eventually it flattened out. And the last 7km were rightened up by an ‘oasis’ stop for watermelons s a cold can (donation only).
    The Albergue where we are tonight is alongside the renovated monetary. From the outside impressive, but never judge a book by its cover right!! This will be the first night of true survival. More like a prison it’s damp and cold, and you cued with a tray for your rations!!! We rebelled, got our money back for dinner and went to the only other place in the village. Phew, food you could eat, and it being hot.
    It has been hard walking today, even more so without the boys. They had to negotiate finding another Albergue in Burgos to accept them - you see, you are only meant to stay one night in a town before walking on. They got a place released at 5pm in another hostel and celebrated with beer and burger. Tomorrow we will join them and hope to continue walking with them by our side the next day. Let’s hope they are not barred from all the Albergues in Burgos...
    Read more