Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day 17 on the Camino

    June 17, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Well, not the most interesting of days as it felt like Ground Hog Day all over. Dusty track, straight mostly and along side (or on) the road.
    Leaving at 7am we set off for the first 6km before breakfast. Passing the modern church in La Virgen first thing, where Jesus and his 12 apostles are shown pointing the way to Santiago.
    Rabbits replaced the mice this morning, running for cover in every direction as us pilgrims trod the path. Not the best Monday morning travel to work I’ve had, as most of the traffic was heading towards us and into the city of Leon we had left yesterday.
    We made good time in the morning, pounding outrage 25km to Hospital de Orbigo by mid day. We crossed the 100m cobbled bridge into the town with 20+ cyclists from Brazil. I thought the cobbles were bad for just walkers, some cyclists got off and pushed their bikes across!
    Lunch was had, and the big decision of the day was to be made. Do we do the north route or the southern one? Southern meant we would have a 13km leg in the sun with no village break, to a place that had no Albergues so a further 4km would need to be walked to Astorga. Or north meant over a hill for 5.5km and rest. The latter won, and we were all done by just gone 2pm. A quiet village, and small Albergue with the towns only bar meant a peaceful afternoon. Maybe the third and fourth to arrive here mean we got good bunks (bottoms each) and a shower before a group of 6 others turned up soon after. An afternoon siesta, early dinner (consisting of leftover lunch, biscuits, crisps and the Rioja from the fountain ⛲️ at Irache) and a walk around the village gets us ready for bed. Bed seems to come earlier and earlier, it’s 9pm for goodness sakes!
    Tomorrow we start climbing again )not literally with ropes) but a steady 300m gain over the 33km; in preparation for the day after and the highest point (Cruz de Ferro).
    Blister watch - well Tracey is a machine, but showing her human side with one small one on the top of her big toe!! How? Me, well it seems I’m growing oblivious of them and the standard low key throbbing foot pain. I didn’t know I had three more, all on the ends of my toes until Tracey mentioned them, lol. I wonder what bliss it will be standing, volunteering at Glastonbury, for 6 hours at a time in just under 2 weeks time - in these same old boots 🥾.
    But for now... we are having a Bien Camino.
    Read more