Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 19 on the Camino

    June 19, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    So today was Rabanal to Ponferrada, via the Cruz de Ferro; a 33km stage.
    We set off after breakfast, climbing just under 400m in 8km. The scenery quickly changed to trees, brush and green pastures with milking cows. The air was so clean, with an abundance of lichen on the bark. It had showered over night and the morning was cloud covered. Some of the hills around us were enveloped by the clouds. The path was well trodden and good up.
    At Cruz de Ferro, the highest point on the Camino, we left stones we had been carrying for loved ones. A time to think, pray and reflect.
    The top plateaued out for 5km and we continued walking the slate path with purple, green, browns and yellow alongside us.
    We then started the treacherous 12km part road/ mainly stone rubble path down. At points the loose rocks and steepness put a lot of stress on your feet and tops of your legs.
    Nearly there, 300m to the road leading into Melinaseca the unthinkable happened. Tracey tripped on a protruding rock and went flying forward, down onto her face. Others around us came and helped. Tracey’s strapping Italian angels helped her off the mountain to a place where she could rest; I called 112.
    An ambulance was dispatched from Ponferrada and made good speed. Taking us the remaining 8km to where we were aiming for to stop in the afternoon. After overcoming the language barrier, as Bering treated, Tracey left with a broken nose and 3 stitches to a cut above her left eye. (I’m so relieved that we have not left Europe yet!!)
    Told to rest and cool down, we find out hostel and mange to get a double scoop ice cream (doctor’s orders). A trip to the pharmacy and an early night. She is adamant to walk tomorrow... I’ve said let’s review in the morning (but I already know what the answer will be...).
    Night and God bless
    Read more