Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Chiang Mai - Day 4

    January 22, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Mostly an admin day which is a reality when travelling for so long - booking flights for months away, arranging buses and getting info on how to get to/stay in and what to do in new locations. It's not all winging it!! Well not always anyway. Visited a couple of new temples close to the hostel, again so different to other places we've visited. Had lunch at 'Fawlty Towers' again, best Thai food anywhere despite the surly owner/chef/waitress/man/woman. Visited the night market which covering 3 square km is the largest in Asia. 5 hours and we'd only seen half of what was going on. A mix of locals and tourists after bargains, food, clothing and crafts. Purchased a few nic-nacs which are light and flat enough to fit into a rucksack. Absolutely packed but great fun and atmosphere.
    Following the death of the King 3 months ago, many buildings have a poster, photo or black/white silk hangings around the perimeter as a mark of respect. Many people wear a ribbon, armband or black clothing in remembrance for the next year. He was an incredibly respected person in Thailand.
    Read more