Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Abel Tasman National Park - FOUND PENGUI

    February 15, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    A quick drive North up the coast from our campsite in Kaiteriteri to Marahau and the start of the Abel Tasman coastal tramp (NZ for walk). The tramp is normally a 5 day trip with basic camping areas dotted along the way, no access for vehicles along the whole path. We chose to do a day walk as the tramp is booked up 5 months in advance, about 15km in total with a collection from Anchorage Bay by the local Aquataxi. Excellent weather gave the best views and the water seemed turquoise in the sunlight. We were meant to sea kayak in this area for 5 days but were scuppered by the stormy weather, so was good to see the sights.
    On one cliff 100ft above the water, we finally FOUND OUR PENGUIN!!!! Tucked away in a burrow and given away only by its moulted feathers, a Little Blue penguin hid away. How it got up there is another question, maybe they can fly after all! The photo may look close but was in fact quite a distance away using a strong zoom, leaving the little chap to moult in peace.
    One highlight was the ride back from the sea to the Aquataxi HQ on the back of a tractor. Still wearing life jackets and driving up the road in the back of the boat was a new experience. Also see photo on how to transport 17 sea kayaks by boat, NZ style.
    Read more