Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Green Pools and Elephant Rocks

    May 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Being away from any lights meant we had great views of the stars again. The clear night also meant it was a cold one but warmed up once the sun rose. This was beautiful to watch at the beach with the mist rising. After having a look around historical Denmark we spent most of the day at Green Pools, like a natural sheltered swimming area that had incredibly clear water which we both enjoyed a swim in. We met Bob in the car park, a motorcycle tourer from Las Vegas, who we had a really long natter with about bikes and touring having been to many similar places as him. While on the beach Lou got talking to a lady who had just collected a dead, blue ringed octopus, in her mask that was in the shallow water. We were told, while inspecting it closely, that it would kill you if you touched it! A little research later and we now know that it is Australia's most deadly creature with the fully grown adult (golf ball size) secretions able to kill 26 humans. They do bite but can be unnoticed and will paralyse you. Unfortunately there is no anti-venom and people die the same day. We don't know the fate of the woman who took it away in her googles to show Tourist Information!
    A walk on the rocks took us around the bay to the huge boulders that actually look like massive elephants bathing in the sea. The evening was spent at another beachside campground set in trees (the warning signs would suggest that deadly snakes like it here too!)
    Read more