Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2-Part 6 Meeting the group

    October 23, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    Exhausted I made it back around 4 pm and just laid on my bed to rest my legs. My roommate, Beryl, showed up about 30 minutes later. She does some kind of health insurance underwriting. It turns out she also spent the previous night at Skuggi Hotel and had seen me a few times. At 6 we went to the lobby to meet the group There were 14 us, mostly women traveling solo. There was 1 couple celebrating the Lisa’s 40th birthday and 2 friends who do pediatric prosthetics. There was 1 other male, Chris, a photographer from Toronto. Jonas, our CEO (i.e., guide) went over some information and said he had 2 o 3 rules, one of which was that we had to sit in a different seat each day in the van so we’d get to know everyone. He suggested we all go out to dinner just around the corner. All of us but 1 (??) didn’t go. We went to a bar type restaurant with 30 different types of hamburgers (and some other fare). I had a hamburger and fries for $25. Prices are expensive and VAT is high. It was interesting how we paid. Maybe all the restaurants do that for tour groups. We go up to the cashier, tell her what table we were at and what we ate. Then you pay that amount right there. There is no expectation of tipping and most of us didn’t (you couldn’t add it to the charge slip anyway).
    Pictures 1-4: more sculptures 5: a muffin (yes, a muffin) at the hamburger restaurant
    Read more