Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3-part 1 Lava Caving

    October 24, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 2 °C

    We got up early to pack the van and trailer (for our luggage and the food for our country-side stay) and headed to the Golden Circle, the top touristy thing people do in Iceland. It has waterfalls, glaciers, hot springs, and more and takes probably 1-2 days to drive around the circle and see the main attractions. None of our rides lasted more than an hour at a time. The weather was absolutely beautiful and sunny and warm (upper 40’s).
    Lava Caving by the Blue(Bláfjöll) Mountains Þingvellir
    Our first stop was Lava Caving found in the middle of a barren lava field. There was a steep rocky climb down into the cave that Janet did not really want to do. She was encouraged to make her way down and then decide. She did stick it out. We walked and crawled through the Leiðarendi cave that was carved out by flowing volcanic lava, & marvel at multi-colored rock formations left in its path. At one point a goat’s skeleton had been found deep inside the cave, causing years of speculation on how that could have happened. Compared to the caving Rachel and I did in Costa Rica, this was very pleasant but hard. There was no water or guana to walk through and absolutely no live creatures to deal with.
    Pictures: 1-Blue Mountains; 2/3- cave ; 4-lava field where cave is located; 5-6-map of Þingvellir National Park and scenery
    Read more