Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Rich Canadian History: British Columbia

    July 24, 2016 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    It's only day two but it feels like we've been on this road trip for a few more than that.

    We were sad to say goodbye to the Shuswap region this morning, but excited to get the northern BC leg of this trip underway.

    Today consisted of mostly driving with many stops along the way.

    Stops like Fort Alexandria & Fort Fraser.

    Both stops have strong links to the Northwest Company, and the Hudson's Bay Company, pre-merger.

    The Hudson's Bay Co took over the Northwest Co in the late 1800's. The areas we saw today have everything to do with the Cariboo Gold Rush of the 1860's. The Cariboo Rush was the largest British Columbia gold rush and some say it's this very rush that built BC. Even the roads and towns we experienced have everything to do with that very gold boom.

    Finally we stopped at Fraser Lake (Beaumont Provincial Park) for the night - great campground and beach/lake- even a beach for the dogs. Fraser lake is also the site of Fort Fraser, which included a standing barn built by the Hudson's Bay Company in the late 1800's (See Photo)

    The drive today was another 7 hours and 700+ km's.

    Its not just about reaching #DestinationAlaska for us, it's about all the moments experienced along the way.

    Its unlikely we will post again until the Yukon (Day #4), as we have no cell service past this point.

    ...time to go off grid completely.
    Read more