Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Northbound: Great Northern BC

    July 25, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    After a pretty great camping experience, we headed another 7.5 hours North West.

    Today, like the last 2, we saw some pretty spectacular sites, many with rich Canadian history.

    Soon after our departure, we spotted a massive mountain called the Hudsons Bay Mountain- a grand site. The mountain had it all. Glacier, green, and red earth.

    Our first stop was quick - we spotted a pretty cool canyon and waterfall in Moricetown! (Photo attached)

    We headed west to a town called Hazelton- a town rich in history, including that of The Northwest Company & The Hudson's Bay Company. This town was a pivotal trading area during the gold rush era, full of aboriginal heritage and amazing totem poles. Today Hazelton (now refered to as Old Hazelton) is a charming heritage site that lives in the past to welcome tourists.

    Just miles away from the old site and across a one way traffic vehicle suspension bridge is New Hazelton. New Hazelton was not all exciting but did have some spectacular mountain views.

    After a quick lunch on a cliff site, we headed north on the Stewart/Cassiar highway! When the term "road less travelled" is used - this road has got to be the original source. In 300 KM's we saw 0 towns, 1 gas stations and only a handful of other automobiles.

    Today we got a cool glimpse of the BC wildlife - we had a deer cross the highway in front of us, we saw several bald eagles flying overhead and just when we thought the area was souless and a little further up the highway of an impressive site, a wolf crossed the road in front of the car, completely unphased by our presence.

    Another hundred KM's north, we saw two bear cubs playing on the side of the highway. We had to turn around and watch them play for about 5 minutes before they headed back to mom. There wasn't another car on the road during these moments - it was very cool and felt like we had the world to ourselves.

    Tonight we are staying at a beautiful campground called Kanaskin Lake Provincial Park, just miles east of Alaska.
    Read more