Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Bigger Than Life: Yukon

    July 26, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    The day started again on the Stewart/ Cassiar highway. Again we did not see much on that road. We attempted at finding some ghost towns documented online, wihtout much success. The only trace of those we seen was a large pile of asbestos where the old Town of Cassiar lays. We had planned to stop at the border of the Yukon for the night, but decided to venture all the way to the Whitehorse area instead.

    Imagine the best scene from a childhood mountain trip. I remember when I visited Banff for the first time and it was an incredible scene, a memory that sticks forever. Well, the Yukon was like that over and over, possibly not as grand as some Rocky Mountains, but a continuously natural beauty, km after km.

    The Yukon roads are okay, somewhere between Saskatchewan & Alberta.

    Our first stop in the Yukon was the Rancherio Falls. Nice short boardwalk hike that led us to two waterfalls. The dogs got quite excited to get out of the car, but that was unfortunately not our final destination for the day.

    We then have hit a campground just east of Whitehorse where we will stay a couple days. We are going to check out many local sites for the next days before crossing the border to Alaska.

    Wildlife today; moose, ravens, rabbit. No where near the excitement of the bear cubs and wolf, but still pretty cool.

    Travelling with Stevie Nicks and Charles has been a lot of fun! It hasbeen hard to gauge their excitement, but we think they like it. Charles loves the car ride and hates the camp fire experience, SN the opposite. We quickly realize how much she is scared of metal bridge. Pretty funny to watch. So far both have been great road trip dogs and we are finding some cool dog spots along the way.

    Camping in the Yukon is pretty cool. Nights are $10-12 and come with unlimited free firewood. Local Yukon residents even stay for free. In contrast, BC was about $22/Night with $8 "bundles" of wood. The Yukon is a steal of a camping deal. Lots of little flies, but I guess we will have yo put up with them.

    We have seen way more American plated vehicles up here, and not many other provinces, would seem that we are not the only ones #DestinationAlaska.
    Read more