Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    First Visit To Pamplona

    August 15, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Woke up really early. Body is still on Australian time.
    Trying to cram evething into the tiny backpack is fun
    Would be so much easier if I ditched the sleeping bag but I'm sure I'll need it later?

    Had a nice breakfast at the hostel
    Just musli toast and pastries
    Got metro to the train station almost went to Málaga as the guard told us to get on the wrong train. Fortunately there was a girl in "our" seat and when she produced her ticket to prove it was her seat she looked at my ticket and said we were on the Málaga train not Pamplona. We jumped off quickly just before it pulled off. 😳

    Once at Pamplona we hadn't a clue where to go we had forgot to look up directions and there was no internet at station.

    My Sygic off line gps did not understand the address (because the email had the basque name for street) we saw some back packers so decided to follow them. (in the wrong direction LOL)
    Everything was closed for afternoon siesta but finally we found a bar, there was no free "We Fee" but I smiled sweetly at the girl behind the bar and she typed the code into my phone.

    Once we had internet I could use the link in the email to google maps.
    It was only a 30min walk so we set off.

    It was full sun and no shade must remember to always carry water.

    Mo said her foot was starting to hurt. She had left her hiking socks off on the train and was just wearing her liners, so we stopped in a park under a tree and I taped up her foot and she put her socks on.
    Only 20 minutes to go but I'm sure she dodged her first blister.

    We followed google along the bank if the river to the hostel.

    The room is basic small with no windows but clean, just thin paper sheets. Glad I have my silk liner and sleeping bag 👍

    We took a shower and went to explore pamplona
    First task was find a phone shop. I spotted a small shop and bought two orange 15€ sims. The girl spoke no English but we managed to buy sims and get them set up in our phones.

    No international calls but 400mins of local and 7Gb data apparently we will get an SMS with a bonus 10Gb we will wait and see? Apparently there is no way to find out your balance as we can't send SMS ill see what I can discover hopfuly there is a website or app?

    We had a quick visit to two amazing churches.
    We will visit again when we pass back through as we didn't do them justice.

    Found a place selling Pilgrim special dinner

    Entre , main and drink(beer wine or water) . For 16.90€ or 14.90€ if you went inside we paid the extra and stayed outside in the courtyard and listen to a buscar playing guitar.

    I had seafood Piella for starters followed by whole Sea Bass (3€ extra) mo had spag boll followed by Bull Stew

    After lunch we took a stroll around town before heading back home.

    We made ourselves a coffee and met an Australian guy Jeff from the Sunshine Coast
    He was retired and doing his second Camino first time was last year.

    He had left his wife at home and seemed like he walked at a fair pace. He said definitely keep the sleeping bag and strap it on the outside if there's not enough room. He had a 42l bag which is very big?

    Was starting to get tired so at 9.30 called it a day.
    Read more