Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Scuba diving in Caye Caulker

    January 19, 2019 in Belize ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We took a red eye flight and arrived in Belize City around 7AM. We actually got very lucky, because we paid less than 500$ for a relatively short flight from San Jose, with a 4 hour layover in LA. It was fun because Pablo had access to the American Express lounge, with free snacks and drinks.

    We took a taxi to the ferries. We paid 30$. Belize is interesting because you can pay with Belizean dollars or US dollars, and the change rate is 2 to 1. Still, we got Belizean dollars from an ATM next to the ferry station. We had got our tickets to Caye Caulker in advance, at 10.30, and after confirming and leaving our luggage at the station, we went to have breakfast at a restaurant next door. The food was OK but the place was pleasant.

    I spent all the ferry trip napping. I was so sleepy after the red eye flight! We arrived and Caye Caulker was amazing! Turquoise water, little houses, and a chill vibe. I had considered booking an hotel in San Pedro instead, but Caye Caulker seemed to be more quiet and less resorty and overdeveloped. After staying here, I think we made the right choice.

    We walked to our accommodation, Barefoot Hotel, which was only a few bloks away and next to everything. We had booked a scuba diving trip at 1PM, so we didn't have time to do much other than unpacking. The hotel was simple and a bit rundown, but clean and comfortable, with a hammock in the balcony.

    For Juan and me, this was our first time scuba diving. Pablo had already done it, but he needed a refresher. We went with a company called Frenchie's, who accommodated us at 1PM when we told them we wouldn't be able to be there earlier.

    The scuba diving itself was an amazing experience! Our guide and instructor, Jose, was very skilled and explained us everything well. I was worried that the whole experience would be unpleasant, but I actually loved it! We saw a lot of beautiful fish, including a bunch of manta rays, a lobster, and a barracuda. Pablo had got some gear to take photos and video with his iPhone, so we got a bunch of fun pics that he later color corrected a bit.

    After the trip we went back to the hotel, took a shower and got ready for the night. We checked Lonely Planet and decided to go to a place called Hibiscus by Habaneros, which used to be called just Hibiscus and was very good. We got ceviche, and pork chop, and fish. We decided to add another appetizer and had dessert, and they moved us to a different table because they said they had a reservation. That was kind of weird, but whatever. The food was excellent and the dessert, Español donuts, was so tasty!

    After dinner we went to have a couple of drinks at a bar. there didn't seem to be too many lively options, and the most popular one was clearly a sports bar by the beach, so we just have need up there. Pablo and I were very sleepy so the three of us went back to the hotel quite early, around 10PM.
    Read more