Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Snorkeling in Caye Caulker

    January 20, 2019, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After our great experience scuba diving, we had planned a full-day snorkeling trip. We booked it with a different operator this time, Caveman, and it included the trip on a motorboat, stops at different points, lunch, and fruit snacks. The day started windy and kind of cold, but we decided to go ahead anyway, so after having breakfast at Blue Morpho Cafe we head to the meeting point, where we got out gear and met the other people on our trip: a few Americans and a British couple.

    Our captain and guide let us know that the trip would depend on the weather, and that we maybe wouldn't be able to see see some things because of it, like the seahorses. That's also why we went straight to the most important spots.

    I'm not gonna lie. The motorboat trip was somewhat painful. It was cold, wet, and bumpy, and it felt like we were going to fly away at any moment. I admit I was questioning our decision to not cancel the tour. But it was so worthy! We went to the Shark Ray Alley and the Holidays Chan Marine Reserve, where we swam with sharks, manta rays, and lots of colorful fish. We saw the coral gardens, and the bottom covered in shells. The water was turquoise-colored and warm, and we had an amazing time. And, after all, had it been sunny we would probably have sunburned. A couple of things about the tour that could have been better: one, having something to prevent our goggles from fogging. And two, getting more explanations and anecdotes from our guide, who told us the names of a lot of the flora and fauna we saw, but not that much of their characteristics or habitats.

    Before the end of the tour, we went to the Split, where we saw the big tarpon fish, which jump from the water to grab food from your hand. It really made me want to go check out the other side of the island, the less developed one, but we didn't do it.

    We went back to the hotel to rest a bit, and went out again to take a walk around the island and find a place to have dinner. We ended up going to Wish Willy Bar & Grill and it was fine, but not as good as the restaurant from the previous night. It was much cheaper and chill though. After dinner, we went to have a drink to the bar next to the one where we had been the previous night, which was quite empty and pleasant, and watched the moon eclipse before heading back to the hotel and going to sleep.
    Read more