Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Sunset in Caye Caulker

    January 21, 2019 in Belize ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    For our second day in Caye Caulker, Juan and I decided to wake up early to go see the sunrise at the Split. The Split is a waterway in Caye Caulker that divides the island in two. The northern side is less developed and we didn't go there, but from the southern side you could mostly see trees and a couple of people. It would have been great to check it out if we had had more time.

    Some people say that the Split was created by hurricane Hattie in 1961. Apparently, this is not exactly true. According to Wikipedia and our snorkeling guide, the waterway is mostly man-made. It's true that the Hurricane opened a little passage, but people made it bigger and the flow dredged the rest.

    You can't swim here because the flow is too strong. There are plenty of fish and birds, and a bunch of chairs to sit and relax. Sunrise and it was beautiful.

    After that, we went to have breakfast at Ice & Beans, a nice little spot at the beach that opens at 6AM and offers coffee, donuts, and some bagels. In fact, we decided to go decadent and share a Nutella bagel with banana. Juan went back to the hotel but I went to take a walk around town, something I hadn't really been able to do in the previous two days.

    We had planned to get the ferry at 10.30AM, but it was full and they accommodated us in a motorboat. Good luck I had my Dramamine! It was sad to leave the island behind, but I was excited for the second part of our trip, San Ignacio and the inland.
    Read more