Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Sassafras Gap Shelter 143.7

    May 15, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Exhausted and tired from our almost 20 miler we slept in until 8 and then started slowly packing our stuff. The first steps were quite hard but afterwards it went better and we reached the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) in no time. Initially we hadn't planned to go there but as we were that late everything was already open.
    First we checked on the gear and found a pretty neat sleeping bag at an affordable price so we both don't have to freeze in the nights anymore! Especially for the Smokies that's a Yay!! For that accomplishment we deserved a huge breakfast with a breakfast burrito and homemade potatoes with sunny side eggs.
    So we actually started our hike at 11 and it was very humid and exhausting so only managed to go slowly. Additionally we encountered three snakes on our 6 miles uphill hike!! The first two were mouse snakes(? Black things) (they were scared away by making a bit noise) and then a forest rattle snake that scared me to death by suddenly rattling a few feet away from me. I saw it quickly before going back a few meters. We walked a few feet off the trail around it and then moved on.
    Later at the Shelter an older guy from Atlanta named Sterling said that you can go close to it. I probably wouldn't try it though...

    Animal spotting bucket list:
    [ ] Black bear
    [ ] Coyote
    [ ] Racoon
    [ ] Beaver
    [x] Mouse snake
    [x] Forest rattle snake (kind of unwanted)

    ... To be continued?
    Read more