Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    David Lesser Memorial Shelter 1014.4

    July 2, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Crazy!!! 1000 miles by foot :) But the last few weeks have been intense. Yesterday was the first time that I arrived at our final stop in daylight. Today the seventh day in a row that we made 20 or more miles. We're now just looking forward to relax tomorrow at Harper's Ferry and to celebrate that we achieved our goal.
    To make it to here we needed to ride the Rollercoaster today. It's called like this because it is "a series of steep ascends and descends". But for our trained hiker legs it wasn't too much of a challenge and for lunch we were already almost through it. Another remarkable thing that happened today is crossing the border from Virginia to West Virginia. Virginia has been in general really good to us but not as "easy" and "flat" as everyone liked to describe it.

    For dinner we stopped at the Blackburn AT Center and enjoyed a more than necessary free shower. Another night hike later we ended up at the Shelter about 8.6 miles before the Appalachian Trail Headquarters :) And we're almost out of food, just two cereal bars and a bit of trail mix left. Starvation as motivation always works :)
    Read more