Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Harper's Ferry/Washington DC 1023.7

    July 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    We had planned to sleep in on our first ZERO day but it didn't work, so we were already up at 7. I've finally had the time to look into the problem with the new US mobile phone as we weren't able to make calls anymore. But this also didn't work and in the end it was even locked and not possible to unlock it anymore... Frustrated I gave up with it and saved it for later. As we still had some time left until the - delayed, of course - Amtrak train to Washington DC arrived, we sat next to the Shenandoah River and had a beer.
    Together with Jon we went on the Sightseeing Tour. As I've already been to Washington, I've guided them around along "The Mall", how the strip between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memo is called. There were many exhibitions, food trucks and other things along the ways because of the 4th. I was super excited to see a food truck with Mexican food and Torta Cubana. I've had food fantasies about it for some time!!! But unfortunately it wasn't as tasty as expected :(
    So on the way we got USA tattoos, flags, stickers and we felt like we adjusted well to the patriotic behavior around us :D With a pack of beer (Budweiser which just said "America" on the cans) and White Cheese Popcorn we were excited about the fireworks. And also a bit disappointed because it wasn't much more than an usual village fireworks that we were used to.
    For the night we went back to the Union Station because our train was supposed to leave as early as 5 in the morning... A mistake as were about to see...
    Read more