Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Delaware Water Gap 1293.6

    July 20, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Today we planned on doing big miles! The terrain looked pretty flat, basically only one elevation change, so it seemed doable. Even though it is Rocksylvannia ;) And as expected it was a lot of rock hopping on the ridge. For lunch we've already had 10 miles but there were still 14 left and the humidity was high.
    On the last third of today's section a thunderstorm came up. Of course it wasn't forecasted... But it looked worse than it actually was and we just got a bit wet. But the problem is that the shoes get almost instantly soaked. And if you have to hike for too long with wet feet/socks/shoes you can get trench feet. Been there, don't have to experience it anymore.
    Luckily it stopped raining after about an hour. On our way down to the town of Delaware Water Gap we had a snake encounter. This is probably the worst that can happen... Hiking down wet and slippery stones and then there's a venomous snake in the middle of the trail behaving aggressively. In our case it was a pretty small copperhead but it didn't want to move even though we threw rocks at it. So we ended up walking through some bushes around it.

    The rest of the hike was downhill and easy so we managed to arrive at the Church of the Mountain Hiker Center before it got dark. Even though we missed the hiker feed, there were still some leftovers which we destroyed almost instantly. Then Julia found some pork skins which we ate with Valentina from a hiker box :D After a shower we relaxed with other hikers and our feet got some well deserved rest.

    Oh, and tomorrow New Jersey!! :)
    Read more