Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 121

    ME4 / Farmington 1969.4

    September 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Today we actually succeeded in getting up early because of the scheduled meeting time. And it was timed to our normal pace, not the slow bad terrain movement we had the last couple of days. Luckily the terrain was in our favor and we arrived at the parking lot at 8:55 AM, just in time. But Bonnie was already there for half an hour because she didn't want us to wait for her. She greeted us with coffee (hot water and coffee in tea bags which is actually very tasty), fresh fruit and donuts :) As she is a hiker herself she knows what we are craving for. Then we figured what to do next because she had considered hiking up to Mount Saddleback with us but it was pretty cold and windy. So she invited us to stay at their camp for the day and night.
    We gladly accepted the offer because we needed a bit of rest after the tough southern Maine section. So we first went to resupply to Walmart and then to the camp. The term camp was new to me so it was a surprise to see that it is actually a big house next to a pretty pond. It was a beautiful view but due to the wind it was too chilly to take the canoe. Besides that we wanted to rest ;)
    So we spend most of day on the couch chatting with Bonnie. She is a really lovely person and we enjoyed the time together. Later her husband Chris came home and they made delicious burgers, freshly picked corn and salad for us. They really spoiled us! We almost felt like humans again and not the stinky hiker trash :)
    Read more